Thursday, May 19, 2011

What a Day




It's the last day of school for my children, and a milestone day for Yukon. Me? I'm just the recorder.....

Bear: Finished kindergarten. I will allow this fact to sink in later, probably when he gets up earlier than a normal school day and asks if he can watch cartoons. After an agonizingly long wait, cajoling and rewarding and scolding, he finally received his second "Sprachmeister" (speech master) badge for speaking German for 20 days in that classroom (1/2 of every school day). Bear is nothing if not stubborn, sometimes. I look forward to First grade. This ought to be good. Oh, the hair in the photos. It was crazy hair day, so I sprayed the child's hair orange.

Wolf: Achieved and maintained Level 4 at CHYC and was able to go river rafting with the other boys on his unit. This is the first recreation outing he's been able to go on in almost 18 months. Incredible. I have not heard much from him today, but I assume that's because he's all worn out. At least, I hope so.

Yukon: Left his bulky polyester splint behind and is now a free man. Splint is to be worn at night, but seeing him look at his arm like one looks at a long-lost love was quite humorous (get it?). There is quite a bit of stiffness, however, and unless he gets to exercising the arm, he'll have to go in for a procedure to get that rusty hinge of an elbow to bend. I don't want to even think about that. I don't think he does, either, because every time I see him he's bending, flexing, and grimacing.....

Me: Beyond excited that three of us will board a plane Monday night for southern California on behalf of JetBlue for their inaugural flight from Anchorage to Long Beach. From there, Disneyland will host "AK Fam" as we surprise Bear with three days of Disneydom....

It's been a good day. We deserve a good day around here.

No comments: