Saturday, March 28, 2009

There's No (re)Doubt Now...




Once again, Alaska's Mt. Redoubt belched up her requisite ash deposit after Anchorage flights resumed and life started to get back to "normal". Ha.

After a sunny, albeit snowy (yes, snow/sun at the same time is not uncommon in the springtime)day, I left a meeting at church around 5:30 p.m. wondering why the formerly sunny afternoon had turned so gray so quickly. Someone said "That's ash!" as I walked the 20 yds to my car.

By the time I had made the 7-mile journey home, my car was covered and my shoes had telltale signs of the powdery stuff on their dark tops.

We celebrated the evening at some friends' house, making pizza and watching the cloud move closer and closer to our neighborhood. Why not?

It is a bit disconcerting to feel the grittiness in our mouths and smell the sulfuric stench from something a 100 miles away. There is truly no experience like knowing there is not a blessed thing we can do to mitigate our circumstances.

We are truly at the mercy of Mother Nature.

I hope we haven't pissed her off.

No comments: