Saturday, February 20, 2010

Living it Up

Just when we needed it; another weekend away. Nice.

I'm sitting in front of a huge window at Alyeska Resort, the largest and oldest ski area in Alaska, watching the groomers pave a path in the slushy snow that has dominated landscapes across southcentral Alaska this past week.

We've been here since noon; Yukon and Bear had lessons, I skied runs in some tough-to-turn snow, and now everybody is relaxing in their own particular way. The boys are in the pool after a great dinner at a local organic restaurant and I'm wrapping up some particulars for a piece on spring skiing in Alaska.

We're here until tomorrow afternoon. It's nice to be able to get out of town. After weeks of flooring, child, and organizational stress, simply taking the time to do something fun, even as it coincides with the ultimate deadline of an article, makes sense.

I don't think it's an accident that I do what I do. Travel is a huge part of my life, and I'd be lost without its ability to escape, if only for a little while.

1 comment:

Mary Rarick said...

Sounds heavenly, Erin.