Monday, May 18, 2009

Update From the Wolf Den: It's a New Normal


Wolf and I decided to take it easy today, spending our last day together doing "things that are fun".

In the tradition of my father, who if given a map would explore every inch of a new city, Wolf and I drove east towards the suburb of Sandy, in search of the Living Planet Aquarium.

Small, but surprisingly full of fascinating information, the aquarium suited Wolf perfectly. Not too terribly busy or chaotic (important to an already anxious kid), staffed by kind folks who enjoyed talking sea creatures and crawling things with my teenager, the Aquarium was a nice respite from our emotional weekend.

If you look carefully at the photo of Wolf and the Electric Eel, you can see his face, smiling a genuinely happy smile. It is a glimpse of the kid we know to be there.

We wound up the day at the hotel pool, watching the movie Bolt, and snacking on sour candy. Wolf was exhausted by the time I dropped him off with an armload of stuff and a hug. He just wanted to go to bed. Mission accomplished, I believe.

No comments: