Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Eagles and Politics in Alaska

Double-I'll-be-damned; the Eagles have got this Life thing down...

I'm home from a very interesting evening at the Anchorage Assembly chambers, watching hundreds of people, armed with their Bibles, banners, musical instruments and agendas traipse into the local library (that also doubles as the meeting place for Anchorage elected politicos).

I don't usually participate in Alaska politics, save for Sarah Palin, and I certainly try to reserve my personal views for other places than the Elituq blog. But an evening watching folks from either side of a proposition to ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation has me in a muddle. Yes, a muddle.

Yukon and I are relaxing in front of a DVD of the Hell Freezes Over Eagles concert; how appropriate. Let me just share with you a few of the phrases that have revealed themselves to me in the last 45 minutes, and I'll let you ponder their worthiness as they relate to the shouting matches, the hateful comments, the utter disrespect on all sides regarding the issue at hand in Anchorage, Alaska.

Learn to be still...

Love will keep us alive...

It's time to get down to the heart of the matter...

Lighten up while you still can...

Get over it...

Somewhere along the way, I found the meaning...

Help me to see the light, open my eyes again...

You may lose and you may win, but you will never be the same again...

Amen.

No comments: