Monday, April 5, 2010

More From the Land Up North


I think I can smell rain in the air. Walking the dog tonight there was a distinct aura of droplet-precipitation after so many months dealing with the frozen type. I always wake up in the middle of the night when it rains outside; the sound on the roof is one I savor each year. Of course, the photo above has nothing to do with rain, but it seems an appropriate metaphor for our lives these days. A little reckless, a little nutty, that's us.

Easter week was a lovely one; we had bright blue skies and warm temperatures hovering in the upper 40's to low 50's, enough to convince Bear it was time to put on his "short pants" and flip flops. He is a constant source of amusement to the folks in our community. Glad we can oblige.

Yukon is busy these days working dilligently to ensure a smooth grand opening of the new Department of Veterans Affairs building near our home. After almost five years in the current dump, er location, we all will be glad to see veterans receiving care in a beautiful new facility. He is one of the Tour Guides responsible for leading employees, vets, and the public around, and gee but he is good at it. I almost feel as if he has a second career calling him...

I'm supposed to be doing some writing of other sorts tonight, but was distracted, as I often get these days, by my online life. I'm working on the participant guide for the 2010 Anchorage Mayor's Marathon this month, and prepping ourselves for a summer full of trips. We're going to head back down to Haines in SE Alaska for a week in June, then to Homer end of June with visiting family, then over to Lake Clark for a long weekend at a fly-in fishing lodge, then, gosh, I forget....oh yes, back up to Fairbanks for the Tanana Valley Fair and a self-described "Alaska-Grown" tour of the area's agriculture. Whew.

I'll need a vacation when school starts in August.

No comments: