Sunday, May 11, 2008

How Much Do Mamas Love?


An exerpt from "Mama, Do You Love Me?" by Barbara M. Joosse...


"I'll love you until the umiak flies into the darkness, till the stars turn to fish in the sky, and the puffin howls at the moon."

"But what if I turned into a polar bear, and I was the meanest bear you ever saw and I had sharp, shiny teeth, and I chased you into your tent and you cried?"

"Then I would be surprised and very scared. But still, inside the bear, you would be you, and I would love you."


For all the questioning of ourselves we do, for all the doubts and guilt and heartbreak and tears; we know we love our children. No matter what wild animal they turn into.

We know their potential even when no one else does. We know who is behind that snarly face even even when their actions are hurtful to us. For they are our children; part of us, and thus worthy of our unconditional, unwavering love.

But we let them go. We allow them the freedom to make the choice to turn into that bear, walrus, or musk ox. But we will welcome them home when they change back. Always.

"...Because you are my Dear One."

No comments: